Milford Haven WwTW Case Study: HUBER Disc Thickener S-DISC
HUBER Technology recently completed the successful installation and commissioning of a mobile skid mounted HUBER Disc Thickener S-DISC project at Milford Haven saving the client £96K per annum.
HUBER received an enquiry from DCWW to supply a temporary sludge thickening solution while the existing drain belts were being repaired. DCWW were using eight sludge tankers a day, seven days a week from site to the nearest sludge thickening centre. HUBER supplied a mobile trial S-DISC and Welsh Water undertook the trials, which allowed the site operator and others to carry out their own trials. These involved speeding up and slowing the disc down, reducing the poly consumption to achieve the required discharge sludge thickness for tankering.
After the successful trials, Welsh Water purchased a skid mounted HUBER Disc Thickener S-DISC.
To thicken the sludge from 0.4%ds (average) to 6%ds to reduce the number of tankers removing thin sludge from site. This was achieved in the 3-month trials by:
- Reducing the number of tankers from eight tankers a day, seven a days a week to two tankers a week
After the successful trial, and seeing the huge potential in cost savings, Welsh Water made the decision to go ahead and purchased their own skid mounted S-DISC sludge thickener, which we delivered to Milford Haven STW in October 2019 and successful commissioning took place in December 2019.
HUBER Technology Supplied
- HUBER Disc Thickener S-DISC 1 Skid mounted
- Complete with HUBER control panel, feed & discharge pumps
- Poly dosing kit
- Electrical ,FAT tested & dry commissioned in the HUBER UK workshop
- £96K per annum cost saving on tankering costs
- Unique, simple, robust design & compact footprint
- 40% lower capital costs
- 25% lower operating costs than equivalent drum thickener
- Low energy & polymer consumption
- Specific power consumption < 0.03 kWh/m³
- Robust design for high solids loads
- Operator attendance of less than 10 minutes per day
Site Ops Supervisor, Neil Mowlem said of the project “The unit is ideal for our needs; it has a small footprint and is a very simple piece of kit that works very well.”